IPIECA’s vision is for an oil and gas industry whose operations and products meet society’s environmental and social performance expectations.
- Developing, sharing and promoting sound practices and solutions.
- Enhancing and communicating knowledge and understanding.
- Engaging members and others in the industry.
- Working in partnership with key stakeholders.
IPIECA provides leadership on climate and energy, environmental and social issues for the oil and gas industry by:
- Anticipating - challenges for the industry through increased focus on scanning and assessing emerging issues and developing actions.
- Enabling - the industry to improve its environmental and social performance through the development and promotion of good practice.
- Informing - global policy and external stakeholders pro-actively and credibly on environmental and social issues.
IPIECA's Strategic Plan
We have a four-year strategic plan cycle. Our current vision, mission and strategic intent provides a strong framework for delivering on our mandate to improve environmental and social performance across three strategic themes—climate and energy, environment and social — this will be used to inform the next strategic cycle for 2017–2020.
The strategic review process in 2016 includes a comprehensive member survey covering all aspects of our existing work programme, governance structure and emerging issues. In support of the member survey, we are engaging key external stakeholders on sustainability issues, risks and opportunities for the industry.
Transparent and open dialogue with stakeholders helps guide IPIECA's activities. Stakeholder engagement informs its work programme and ensures that its activities reflect key sustainability issues for the industry, as well as the views of stakeholders.
IPIECA convened a dialogue on 23 May 2016 with nine external stakeholders, drawn from civil society, academia and financial institutions, six IPIECA Executive Committee members and three members of the IPIECA secretariat. The purpose of the dialogue was to:
- understand stakeholders' assessment of emerging issues facing the oil and gas industry and what the industry could do to address these issues;
- gain stakeholder perspectives on IPIECA's thematic strategies;
- maintain relationships with key stakeholders, building on previous stakeholder consultation conducted by IPIECA, and
- ensure the IPIECA 2017-2020 strategic plan considers input from stakeholders' views.
Climate & Energy
The oil and gas industry works hard to meet energy demand while managing its environmental and social impacts and addressing climate risks.
- Our ambition:
- Pro-actively establish IPIECA as an authoritative forum on emerging policy and technical climate change issues.
- Develop a long term (2030) vision and implementation pathway for IPIECA on climate change.
- Develop and promote use of sustainable management practices around flaring, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and energy efficiency.
- Communicate the role of oil and gas in meeting the world’s growing energy needs.
The oil and gas industry created IPIECA more than 40 years ago to support companies in minimizing and managing their impact on the environment.
- Our ambition:
- Enable companies to improve their performance and reduce their footprint by providing sound analysis, assessment tools, good practices, credible data sources and appropriate indicators.
- Inform internal and external stakeholders on oil and gas industry views and performance.
- Evaluate the application of net benefit in the oil and gas industry for improving environmental performance.
Oil and gas companies face a broad range of social challenges and opportunities across their operations.
- Our ambition:
- Sustain IPIECA as the primary forum for leading social performance in the oil and gas industry.
- Represent the industry in outlining the application of strong human rights principles.
- Communicate the economic and social benefits of the oil and gas industry to society.