Social responsibility resources
Good practice guidanceView social responsibility good practice guidance.
- 19-Apr-13 IPIECA at the Ethical Corporation Social Responsibility Summit
- 21-Mar-13 Annual Plenary of the Voluntary Principles for Security and Human Rights 2013
- 30-Jan-13 IPIECA contributes to the European Commission Roundtable on Business and Human Rights
- 20-Jan-13 IPIECA contribution to the European Commission Roundtable on Business and Human Rights
Members' areaAccess the Social Responsibility Working Group members' area.
Contact the working groupIf you would like more information please contact the Social Responsibility Working Group's project manager.
IPIECA formed a Social Responsibility Working Group (SRWG) in 2002 to share good practice on social responsibility issues including human rights, social impact assessment in countries where we are active, and community outreach.
The oil and gas industry operates in some of the most difficult places in the world. Companies face an especially complex situation in emerging economies, where they may be the first to do business with government processes and agencies that are still evolving.
In developing countries, suppliers tend to be scarce. People may live a long way from healthcare, education and other services. Companies have to meet the challenges of working in such situations, and they must also adapt to local practices and cultural differences.
In this type of environment, companies depend on the strength of their own organization, policies, business practices and codes of conduct, and on their ability to access the necessary expertise. Training for staff and contractors is very important, especially in key areas such as safety, human rights and managing business relationships.
The Social Responsibility Working Group gives IPIECA members a unique forum in which to share information and coordinate responses to some of the social responsibility issues and challenges surrounding the oil and gas industry.
The Social Responsibility Working Group is currently working on:
- Human rights
- Indigenous peoples
- Local content
- Sustainable social investment
- Management systems
- Voluntary principles
It also participates in and observes a number of external initiatives.
The working group has produced a number of publications used by the industry, including:
- Voluntary principles on security and human rights: Implementation guidance tools
- Local content strategy: a guidance document for the oil and gas industry
- Indigenous peoples and the oil and gas industry: context, issues and emerging good practice
- Human rights training toolkit
- Guide to successful, sustainable social investment for the oil and gas industry
- Guide to operating in areas of conflict for the oil and gas industry
- Guide to social impact assessment in the oil and gas industry
- Key questions in managing social issues in oil and gas projects
IPIECA has gathered a number of case studies illustrating ways that our members are addressing the topic of social responsibility. Please visit the case studies page.