IPIECA has released its 2013 Annual Review with the theme The Power of Partnerships.
In its 40th anniversary year, the theme reflects the work of the association since 1974 in bringing industry peers together, and engaging with the UN and other global institutions, NGOs, business and academia to develop practical solutions that help oil and gas companies meet the world’s energy needs through responsible production.
Rick Mire, IPIECA Chair stated, "Since its creation IPIECA has provided a credible and expert voice for the industry, using the power of its partnerships to enable improvement of environmental and social performance in the oil and gas sector."
The review outlines some of the key highlights of 2013 including:
- Publication of the Water Management Framework.
- Publication of good practice guidance on Integrating human rights into environmental, social and health impact assessments (ESHIAs) in collaboration with the Danish Institute for Human Rights
- Launch of the Cross-Sector Biodiversity Initiative, together with the International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM) and the Equator Principles Association.
- A workshop on Short Lived Climate Forcers (SLCF) to investigate the science, sources, and understanding of current initiatives around SCLFs and the role and response of the oil and gas industry.
- Release of four new guidance documents on health, covering cardiovascular diseases, psychosocial risks for expatriates, vector-borne diseases and fatigue risk management systems.
Further details on all this work are provided in the Annual Review.