Transport is a major global emitter of greenhouse gases and, as living standards and population rises, the number of miles travelled is expected to increase. This presents a challenge: how can we transform the energy sector to help meet the Paris Agreement goals? Is electrification the only answer? Even for trucks, planes and ships? Or do we need a broader range of solutions?
IPIECA will be holding a side event at this year’s 24thConference of the Parties (COP24)to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)in Katowice, Poland to continue the dialogue on low-emissions pathways with a focus on low-emissions transport.
Transforming transport – is electrification the only answer?
When: Tuesday, 11 December, 15:30-18:30; includes networking reception and refreshments
Where: IETA Business Hub, Pavilion H-5, COP24, Katowice, Poland
- Moderator: David Hone (Shell, Chief Climate Change Adviser)
- Speakers and panellists:
- Alessandro Bartelloni (Policy Director, FuelsEurope)
- Dr. Vaibhav Chatuverdi (Research Fellow, Council on Energy, Environment and Water)
- Michael Gill (Executive Director, Air Transport Action Group)
- Jim Herbertson (IPIECA, Technical Director Climate and Energy)
- Fiona Hick (Vice President, Health, Safety, Environment and Quality, Woodside Energy Ltd)
- Michael Kelly (Deputy Managing Director, World LPG Association)
- Ann-Cathrin Vaage (Leading Consultant Climate Policy, Equinor)
In addition, IPIECA has a booth in the IETA Pavilion – #142 – during the first week of COP, and will be presenting at the following events:
University College London - IPIECA side event: Low emissions transport in shipping
When: Monday 3 December, 18.30-20.00
Where: Pieniny, COP24, Katowice, Poland
Chevron - ERM side event: CO2 Capture Project Study: CCS in Nationally Determined Contributions and Mid-Century Strategies
When: Wednesday 5 December, 11.30-12.30
Where: IETA Business Hub, COP24, Katowice, Poland
PGNiG side event: Making clean air real with natural gas
When: Monday 10 December, 14.00-15.30
Where: Polish National Pavilion, COP24, Katowice, Poland
Please contact Phil.Grainger@ipieca.org or Jim.Herbertson@ipieca.org with any questions you may have.
- Climate & Energy
- 03 December 2018