On Wednesday 20 September, IPIECA co-hosted an event with UNDP, IFC, and ICMM - The Oil, Gas and Mining Industries and the 2030 Agenda: Partnerships and Participation to Accelerate Progress.
The event was held alongside the 72nd Regular Session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York. It examined the role of the oil, gas and mining industries in the 2030 Agenda, with a particular focus on how partnerships and participation can help accelerate progress in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The event consisted of a combination of short presentations, panel sessions and 'rapid-fire' style interventions. Over 100 guests attended the event including government delegates, members of the oil, gas and mining industries, representatives from international organizations, financial institutions, NGOs, civil society, think tanks, and academics from Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, Africa, North America and Europe.
The main objectives of the event were to:
- Better understand the relationship between the oil, gas and mining industries and the SDGs, including examining the challenges the industries might face and how to address them.
- Explore how multi-stakeholder partnerships and participation can enhance industries contributions to the SDGs – through practical examples and experience sharing amongst event participants.
- Generate recommendations for partnerships and actions that will support implementation of the SDGs in the oil, gas and mining sector.
Key findings and messages from the Oil and Gas Atlas were also presented.
The 2030 Agenda and its SDGs provide a common global framework for navigating the world’s most urgent economic, social, and environmental challenges. While governments have the primary responsibility to prioritize, coordinate and implement efforts towards meeting the SDGs, there is wide recognition that the private sector and civil society will play critical roles in the implementation of national plans.
- Brian Sullivan - IPIECA
- Nik Sekhran - UN Development Programme
- Lance Crist - IFC
- Aidan Davy - ICMM
- Charlotte Wolff-Bye - Equinor
- Claire Larner - Newmont
- Erica Westenberg - Natural Resource Government Institute
- Beatriz Mejia Asserias - Government of Colombia
- Ingrid-Gabriela Hoven - Germany Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development
- Khaled A. Mahdi - Government of Kuwait
- Bjorn Hamso – World Bank - Global Gas Flaring Reduction Partnership
- Dr. Pratima Rangarajan - OGCI
- Daniele La Porta - World Bank - Role of Minerals and Metals for a Low-Carbon Future
- Frazer Lanier – Citigroup
- Marielle Canter Weikel – Conservation International
- Kavita Prakash-Mani - WWF
- Jeff Hanman - Teck
- Manoelle Lepoutre – Total
- Oscar Francisco Rada Santivanez - ProNaturaleza
- Dr. Hubert Fleming - Anglo American
Mapping the oil and gas industry to the SDGs: An Atlas (Executive summary)Download
Mapping the oil and gas industry to the SDGs: An AtlasDownload