Following the endorsement of the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (UNGPs) in 2011, and the revision of the International Finance Corporation (IFC) Performance Standards in 2012, IPIECA began working on improving its understanding of the concept of free, prior and informed consent (FPIC) and the related emerging external expectations on the industry, through the development of a toolbox on FPIC.
This work involved: mapping existing and emerging literature, including institutional, regulatory and legal dimensions; conducting interviews to understand stakeholder views; mapping examples of good practice in the operational context; and understanding what the practice of FPIC looks like in its implementation across a range of regional and country contexts. The FPIC fact sheets were the final component of the FPIC toolbox, and were launched in December 2018.
See below to download the resources in the toolbox:
- 1a. The business case and awareness of FPIC (member login required)
- 1b. The business case and awareness of FPIC (member login required)
- 2. Stakeholder interviews analysis (member login required)
- 3. Member survey results (member login required)
- 4. International instruments
- 5. Literature of key guidance (member login required)
- 6. Mapping tools
- 7. FPIC fact sheets (member login required)