What is Ipieca?
Ipieca is the global oil and gas association dedicated to advancing environmental and social performance across the energy transition. It brings together members and stakeholders to lead in integrating sustainability by advancing climate action, environmental responsibility and social performance across oil, gas and renewables activities.
Ipieca was founded at the request of the United Nations Environment Programme in 1974. Through its non-lobby and collaborative approach Ipieca remains the industry’s principal channel of engagement with the UN.
What is the Ipieca vision?
Ipieca’s vision is to advance the oil and gas industry’s environmental and social performance and contribution to the energy transition in the context of sustainable development.
What is Ipieca's role in the oil and gas industry?
Ipieca performs two main roles. Firstly, we use our convening power to bring together professionals from the member companies to work together to develop, promote and share good practice that enables the industry to improve its environmental and social performance. We use this information and our networks to enhance and communicate knowledge. The second role for Ipieca is to be the principal channel of communication with the United Nations (UN) for environmental and social issues.
What are the benefits for Ipieca members?
Companies benefit from membership of Ipieca through:
- Exclusive insight and engagement opportunities with senior UN representatives
- The opportunity to work with world leading experts from member companies and stakeholders on the biggest sustainability challenges facing the planet
- Contributing to the development of internationally recognized good practice used throughout the oil, gas and renewable industries
- A network of over 1,000 climate, environmental, social performance and sustainability professionals from across the industry value chain
- Access to peer expertise and the latest thinking on climate, ESG and sustainability issues
- Joining a leadership group of companies contributing to low-emissions pathways and a net-zero future
What are the commitments of Ipieca members?
Under the conditions of Ipieca membership, corporate and associate members of Ipieca agree to:
- Support the Ipieca Principles
- Support the Ipieca vision to improve performance and contribute to the energy transition in the context of sustainable development.
- Support the objectives and work plan of Ipieca as approved by the General Committee. This includes but is not limited to, engaging in at least two groups.
- Respect and value Ipieca’s non-lobby status.
- Comply with the Articles of Association of Ipieca.
- Comply with applicable laws and regulations, including on anti-trust, competition and sanctions, related to Ipieca’s activities and members participation.
How do you become an Ipieca member?
If you would like to find out more about joining Ipieca, please contact Avella Daley, +44 (0) 20 7633 2371, email@example.com. Alternatively, please use our contact form.
Who can become an Ipieca member?
We have three categories of membership:
- Corporate members:
international and national oil and gas companies of any size, with operations in exploration, production, transportation or refining.
- Associate members:
any company or corporate body which provides services in connection with exploration, production, treatment, storage or transportation.
- Association members:
international, regional and national associations covering environmental or social aspects of exploration, production or refining.
- Corporate members:
Can individuals become Ipieca members?
Ipieca membership is only open for oil and gas companies and associations, field service companies and Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contractors. Therefore individuals cannot apply for a membership.
- How can I order an Ipieca publication?
Is Ipieca for profit?
Ipieca is a not-for-profit association that provides a forum for encouraging continuous improvement in industry performance. Ipieca is funded by corporate and associate member companies via an annual contribution according to a formula based on relative production and geographic spread of operations. Association memberships are free of cost.
Does Ipieca work in partnership with other organizations?
Yes, Ipieca works in partnership with other organizations. Please visit our Who we work with page for more details.
Is Ipieca a lobbying organization?
Ipieca is not a lobbying organization. Ipieca’s focus is on providing the technical knowledge, good practice and solutions to encourage continuous improvement in industry performance, as well as improving understanding of sustainability-related opportunities, challenges and policies for the industry.
Our non-lobby status has enabled us to remain the industry’s principal channel of engagement with the United Nations, to build trusted relationships throughout the UN system, and develop impactful partnerships across the IGO, NGO and academic worlds.
What are Ipieca's areas of interest?
Currently, Ipieca has member-led groups focusing on each of the following topics:
- Alternative energy
- Biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Climate change
- Human rights
- Oil spill preparedness
- Fuels and products
- Social responsibility
- Supply chain
- Sustainable Development Goals
How do I contact Ipieca?
40 Basinghall Street
London EC2V 5DE
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7633 2371
- How to reach the Ipieca Secretariat