Collaboration is at the heart of what Ipieca does. For over 45 years, Ipieca has convened experts from across our member companies with key stakeholders from the United Nations, NGOs, civil society and academia to scale up impact on the interconnected issues of climate action, environmental responsibility, social performance and integrating sustainability.
Learn how Ipieca’s ongoing engagement, partnerships and collaboration with external stakeholders advances Ipieca’s work programme and contribution to the energy transition in the context of sustainable development.
Engaging with the United Nations
UN Environment Programme
Ipieca was established in 1974 at the request of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) to develop a shared industry response to environmental and social issues.
Ipieca remains the oil and gas industry’s principal channel of engagement with UNEP, as described below:
Ipieca’s consultative status at the UN, coupled with its non-lobbying mandate, has allowed it to build strong partnerships and trusted relationships throughout the UN system:
- UN Convention on Biological Diversity
- International Civil Aviation Organization
- International Maritime Organization
- UN Framework Convention on Climate Change
- Intergovermental Panel on Climate Change
- World bank global gas flaring reduction partnership
- UN Guiding Principles on business and human rights
- UN working group on business and human rights
- UN Global Compact
- UN development programme and international finance corporation
- World health organization
Ipieca is also continuing to develop its partnerships with the below organizations.
- Building Responsibly
- Cross Sector Biodiversity Initiative
- Council for inclusive capitalism
- International Council on Mining and Metals
- International Union for the conservation of nature
- Methane Guiding Principles
- Oil and Gas climate initiative
- Society of petroleum engineers
- World business council for sustainable development
In addition to the above ongoing engagement and partnerships, Ipieca’s workstreams are collaborating with the following organizations to support implementation of our 2022 work programme and 2021-2024 strategy: