Ahead of the UN COP-21 conference in Paris in December, IPIECA, the global oil and gas industry association for environmental and social issues, held a webinar on The Paris Puzzle: The pathway to a low-emissions future. The communication lays out IPIECA's global membership’s view on the challenges the world faces in transitioning to a low-emissions future, and identifies the critical parts of the puzzle: Meeting energy needs; Effective policy; Managing our emissions; Natural gas; and Carbon capture and storage.
IPIECA recognises that a low-emissions global energy system would look significantly different from today and that such a transformation would be a major challenge to accomplish. Within The Paris Puzzle: The Pathway to a low-emissions futureour key messages are:
- IPIECA recognises that addressing the risks of climate change is a challenge for our generation and will be for those to come. Meeting the challenge will require actions from all parts of society. Significant policy action, technology development and business response will be needed over many decades. The oil and gas industry can play a key role in helping society to meet the challenge.
- IPIECA supports and encourages governments in their efforts to reach an effective and clear international agreement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to manage the risks of climate change.
- IPIECA believes it is possible to address climate change risks while also meeting growing global energy demand and supporting economic development. As an industry we are already taking a range of actions across our own operations and products to support these goals.
The one hour webinar provided:
- An introduction to IPIECA
- The Paris Puzzle messages
A recording of the webinar can be found here.