Ipieca’s role at COP28
The Ipieca Principles, a condition of membership, show what we stand for: supporting key UN Agreements and environmental and social good practice that aligns with them. In accordance with that, Ipieca has attended every single COP since the inaugural event, held in Berlin in 1995. As a non-lobby organization, Ipieca’s role is to listen to negotiations and to provide industry technical inputs and feedback on the issues under discussion when required.
On-site Ipieca events
At COP28, Ipieca will host events or be a panellist in others to support the topics under discussion and promote cross-sector collaboration and solutions.
Official side events in the Blue Zone, awarded by the UNFCCC:
- Business leadership on the Global Stocktake: catalyzing investment while prioritizing a just transition organized by Ipieca, US Chamber of Commerce, US Council for International Business, International Organization of Employers, Confederation of Indian Industry, Confederación Española de Organizaciones Empresariales
- Multi-sector collaboration: accelerating action on methane and delivering the Global Methane Pledge organized by the International Gas Union, Clean Resource Innovation Network
- The 2023 IMO GHG Strategy: defining the global level playing field for shipping decarbonization organized by the International Maritime Organization, International Renewable Energy Agency, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
Side events in the Blue Zone:
- Methane emissions reduction efforts roundtable - Ipieca panellist
- Just energy transition in the Global South: challenges and perspectives of developing countries - Ipieca panellist
- Partnerships for progress: how a just transition drives sustainable energy and the SDGs - organized by Ipieca
- Challenges and opportunities for the oil and gas industry in the energy transition - Ipieca panellist
- Achieving near-zero methane emissions in the energy sector - organized by Ipieca
- Net zero in action: showcasing decarbonization technologies - organized by Ipieca
Raising awareness and support for COP28 outcomes
When COP28 closes, Ipieca will work with its members and partners to raise awareness of the outcomes, share learnings and insights, and produce practical guidance and tools to support the industry contribute to achieving the COP28 objectives.