IPIECA will attend the United Nations High-level Political Forum (HLPF) in New York from 17-19 July 2017. The HLPF is the UN’s central platform for follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It is convened by the Economic and Social Council and this year’s theme is Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world.
Each year, a set of goals are selected for in-depth review alongside Goal 17 – “Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development” – which is a standing item to be discussed every year. This year’s focus goals are:
- Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
IPIECA will continue the dialogue with key stakeholders and share progress in understanding how the oil and gas industry is, and can further, contribute to the sustainable development agenda.
At the business day on Tuesday 18 July, Brian Sullivan, IPIECA Executive Director will join a panel of 13 business representatives delivering rapid-fire presentations on the goals in focus this year. The panel will be moderated by H.E. Ms Dessima Williams, Special Advisor on Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals. Brian will present on the oil and gas industry’s efforts in support of SDG 17.
During the forum IPIECA will take the opportunity to introduce its upcoming report - Mapping the oil and gas industry to the Sustainable Development Goals: An Atlas. This work is developed in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and the International Finance Corporation (IFC). The Executive Summary is available to download from the IPIECA website.
- Climate & Energy
- Social Responsibility
- Sustainability Reporting
- Oil spill preparedness and response
- 14 July 2017