Human Rights Day is observed every year on 10 December. It commemorates the day on which, in 1948, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
IPIECA has been working on human rights issues and raising awareness across the industry for over a decade. In anticipation of the endorsement of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, in June 2011, IPIECA launched a new initiative – the Business and Human Rights Project – that aimed to build on the collective experience and practical know-how of our global membership in the area of business and human rights.
As a result practical guidance, based on the realities of the industry’s operating context, has been developed for oil and gas companies in the areas of:
- Human rights due diligence processes
- Integrating human rights into environmental, social and health impact assessments – developed with the Danish Institute for Human Rights
- Designing and implementing community grievance mechanisms
- Human rights training tool
- Indigenous Peoples and the oil and gas industry: context, issues and emerging good practice
During 2016 IPIECA is entering a new phase of the business and human rights project which will examine potential human rights issues and risks along the oil and gas project lifecycle together with the industry’s major contractors. If you would like further information on this work contact the Secretariat.
Learn more about IPIECA’s work.
- Social Responsibility
- 10 December 2015