The report has been updated to include topics that have developed or emerged in the upstream oil and gas industry since the original was released, including the relationship between environmental and social management, and the emergence of biodiversity and ecosystem services as a discipline.
Key updates to the second edition include:
- the overview of the upstream oil and gas industry section reflects advancements in technology throughout the exploration and production lifecycle;
- environmental management approaches outlined incorporate the latest international good practice for environmental management;
- a guide to identification and mitigation of environmental impacts processes, using the latest scientific knowledge regarding environmental impacts and best practice mitigation measures; and
- discussion of environmental management regulatory frameworks in the upstream oil and gas industry.
Who is it for?
As an introductory document to the fundamentals of upstream environmental management, this report will benefit:
- oil and gas industry managers and practitioners;
- environmental consultants;
- regulatory agencies;
- financing institutions;
- non-governmental organizations; and
- intergovernmental organizations.
Ipieca and IOGP gratefully acknowledge the input and feedback from the UN Environment Programme in the preparation of this report.
'This publication provides a useful overview of the E&P lifecycle and a framework of the environmental management approaches in the upstream oil and gas industry that help address the environmental risks and impacts.' Ligia Noronha, Director, Economy Division, UN Environment Programme