The Ipieca sustainability article round-up showcases recent sustainability-related achievements, projects and news from Ipieca members and organizations that Ipieca partners with, demonstrating their commitment to advancing environmental and social performance across the energy transition and achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The March round-up shares a range of carbon and methane emissions reductions initiatives and ambitions from Chevron, INPEX, Neptune Energy, Oxy, TotalEnergies and the Oil and Gas Climate Initiative. We also feature an SDG progress report from Repsol, and celebrate the 50th anniversary of the UN Environment Programme.
Member sustainability articles
Chevron launches carbon offset project
Through its Chevron New Energies division and in partnership with Restore the Earth Foundation, Chevron will develop a reforestation project on 8800 acres of land in Louisiana. The project will help remove carbon from the atmosphere and contribute to local ecosystem restoration.
INPEX, ANZ and Qantas announce carbon farming and renewable biofuels strategic collaboration
A memorandum of understanding signed between INPEX, ANZ and Qantas will provide an opportunity to support reforestation and decarbonization in Western Australia, by integrating drought-resilient native tree crops into existing farming systems and the production of low-carbon renewable biofuels.
Neptune Energy announces aim to store more carbon than it emits by 2030
UK independent E&P company Neptune Energy plans to go beyond net zero to store more carbon than is emitted from its operations and the use of its sold products by 2030.
Oxy and SK Trading International sign first agreement for net-zero oil
Under the agreement, Oxy may provide SK Trading International with an opportunity to purchase up to 200,000 barrels of net-zero oil per year for five years. The net-zero oil is created by combining crude oil with environmental attributes generated from CO2 captured by direct air capture and sequestered in Oxy’s enhanced oil recovery reservoirs.
Repsol publishes SDG report
The third edition of Repsol’s SDG report highlights its commitment to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through more than 35 indicators and 40 global projects including construction of a biofuels plant, commitment to renewable hydrogen, circular economy initiatives and more.
TotalEnergies expands its carbon neutrality ambitions
TotalEnergies has unveiled ambitious Scope 3 and methane emissions targets. It aims to reduce Scope 3 emissions by more than 30% from 2015 level by 2030. It is also expanding its ambition with targets to reduce methane emissions (50% from 2020 levels by 2025 and 80% from 2020 levels by 2030) to move towards zero methane.
Partner sustainability articles
Oil and Gas Climate Initiative
OGCI launches industry zero methane emissions initiative
The Oil and Gas Climate Initiative (OGCI) has launched the Aiming for Zero Methane Emissions Initiative which calls for an all-in approach that treats energy industry methane emissions as seriously as the industry already treats safety. Signatories to the Initiative believe that nearly all methane emissions from the industry can and should be avoided.
UN Environment Programme + Ipieca
Ipieca celebrates UNEP’s 50th anniversary
For 50 years, the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) has played a key role in enabling partnerships between stakeholders and industries across nature- and climate-related issues. Founded at the request of UNEP in 1974, Ipieca has participated in several UNEP-led collaborations to strengthen oil and gas industry action for nature and climate.
Related Ipieca resources & news
Found these articles interesting? Learn more about the topics covered through Ipieca’s free good practice guidance, awareness briefings, webinars, news and blogs:
- Environmental and social good practice for the energy transition: a compendium of Ipieca good practices
- Hydrogen: enabling the energy transition and pathways to net-zero emissions
- Exploring low-emissions pathways: advancing the Paris Puzzle
- Exploring low-emissions pathways for transport
- Ipieca 2021-24 strategy: providing a platform to support the energy transition and sustainable development
- Net-zero emissions: glossary of terms
- Zigzag to Zero? Positive pathways to Paris - an industry, investor and civil society roundtable
- Ipieca-IOGP-GIE-MARCOGAZ Joint methane glossary for the natural gas value chain
- Ipieca Methane virtual workshop: Science, regulations, voluntary initiatives and global expectations
- Webinar: Reducing methane emissions from the oil and gas sector - guidance for improved operations
- SPE Gaia-OGCI-Ipieca-IOGP methane webinar series briefing
Sustainable Development Goals
- Ipieca-UNDP-IFC Mapping the oil and gas industry to the Sustainable Development Goals: an Atlas
- Ipieca-WBCSD Accelerating action: an SDG Roadmap for the oil and gas sector
- 06 April 2022