Dispersant use can mitigate the overall impact of an oil spill by removing oil from the sea’s surface (or avoiding oil surfacing in the case of subsea use), thereby protecting marine mammals, birds, coastal habitats and shorelines.
This report is intended to provide additional guidance to help operators and responders:
- Understand the types of materials used for dispersant storage and the optimal storage conditions to prolong dispersant life.
- Develop procedures for testing and if necessary, disposal of off-spec product.
- Understand the principles of dispersant inventory management and documentation.
- Assure themselves that dispersant held within their stockpiles remains effective and fit for purpose.
- Understand the Globally Harmonized System of hazard classification as it applies to dispersants.