Howard will present his perspectives on CCS gathered through his career, during which he will:
- discuss the role of CCS in addressing the climate change challenge;
- provide a summary of large CCS projects in operation;
- talk about how to view negative emissions;
- report on the policies and politics around CCS; and
- review the current status and future directions for capture and storage technology.
Howard is a Senior Research Engineer in the MIT Energy Initiative. He was a Coordinating Lead Author for the IPCC Special Report on Carbon Dioxide Capture and Storage and has served as a US delegate to the Carbon Sequestration Leadership Forum's Technical Group. He was awarded the 2010 Greenman Award by the IEAGHG 'in recognition of contributions made to the development of greenhouse gas control technologies'. In 2018, he authored a book entitled Carbon Capture for the MIT Press Essential Knowledge Series. He is currently Executive Director of MITEI's Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Storage Low-Carbon Energy Center.