The annual IPIECA sustainability reporting survey identifies trends in the sustainability reporting practices of IPIECA member companies. The results provide an overview of current practices, identify widely used performance indicators and emerging trends, allow companies to learn from their peers, and improve industry communication around sustainability issues.
The key findings from the 2021 survey are:
- 92% of respondents use the IPIECA-API-IOGP Sustainability reporting guidance for the oil and gas industry to guide the development of their report.
- 92% of respondents use the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures in the development of their report.
- 88% of respondents report to or reference the UN Sustainable Development Goals in their reports. Respondents felt their company's activities/contributions were most material to:
- SDG 7 Affordable and clean energy (88%)
- SDG 13 Climate action (87%)
- SDG 12 Responsible consumption and production (71%)
- 76% of companies are supplementing their report with additional communications on specific topics (e.g. climate change risks and opportunities).
Download the summary report to learn more.