IPIECA’s vision is an oil and gas industry that successfully improves its operations and products to meet society's expectations for environmental and social performance.
- Developing, sharing and promoting sound practices and solutions.
- Enhancing and communicating knowledge and understanding.
- Engaging members and others in the industry.
- Working in partnership with key stakeholders.
IPIECA provides leadership on climate and energy, environmental and social issues for the oil and gas industry by:
- Anticipating - challenges for the industry through increased focus on scanning and assessing emerging issues and developing actions.
- Enabling - the industry to improve its environmental and social performance through the development and promotion of good practice.
- Informing - global policy and external stakeholders pro-actively and credibly on environmental and social issues.
IPIECA's Strategic Plan
We have a four-year strategic plan cycle. Our current Vision, Mission and strategic intent provides a strong framework for delivering on our mandate to improve environmental and social performance across four strategic themes—Climate and Energy, Environment, Social and Oil Spill Preparedness.
The strategic review process
2020 is the start of our strategic review process for the development of our next Strategic Plan (2021-2024). IPIECA has conducted a comprehensive member survey covering all aspects of our existing work programme, governance structure and emerging issues. In support of the member survey, IPIECA is engaging key external stakeholders on sustainability issues, risks and opportunities for the industry.
Transparent and open dialogue with stakeholders helps guide IPIECA's activities. Stakeholder engagement informs its work programme and ensures that its activities reflect key sustainability issues for the industry, as well as the views of stakeholders. We are consulting with stakeholders as part of the current strategic review cycle.
IPIECA convened a virtual stakeholder dialogue on 31 March 2020 with nine external stakeholders, drawn from civil society, academia and financial institutions, and ten IPIECA Executive Committee members.
The dialogue focused on stakeholders’ views on:
- IPIECA’s potential role in the energy transition;
- principles to be included within the IPIECA Vision;
- priorities and strategies for IPIECA focus areas; and
- how to effectively engage with stakeholders going forward.
Climate & Energy
The oil and gas industry works hard to meet energy demand while managing its environmental and social impacts and addressing climate risks.
- Our ambition:
- Pro-actively establish IPIECA as an authoritative forum on emerging policy and technical climate change issues.
- Develop a long term (2030) vision and implementation pathway for IPIECA on climate change.
- Develop and promote use of sustainable management practices around flaring, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and energy efficiency.
- Communicate the role of oil and gas in meeting the world’s growing energy needs.
The oil and gas industry created IPIECA more than 40 years ago to support companies in minimizing and managing their impact on the environment.
- Our ambition:
- Enable companies to improve their performance and reduce their footprint by providing sound analysis, assessment tools, good practices, credible data sources and appropriate indicators.
- Inform internal and external stakeholders on oil and gas industry views and performance.
- Evaluate the application of net benefit in the oil and gas industry for improving environmental performance.
Oil and gas companies face a broad range of social challenges and opportunities across their operations.
- Our ambition:
- Sustain IPIECA as the primary forum for leading social performance in the oil and gas industry.
- Represent the industry in outlining the application of strong human rights principles.
- Communicate the economic and social benefits of the oil and gas industry to society.